World Food Day is celebrated every year on October 16th.
For this reason we have decided to bring back ten tips at the basis of a healthy diet. Some can be started as early as tomorrow, for others it takes a little more practice.
- Check the calorie intake, respecting the protein needs.
- Consume complex and whole carbohydrates, prefer fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables.
- Moderate the consumption of table sugar, sugary drinks and sweets.
- Control the intake of seasoning fats and oils, moderating the consumption of fats of animal origin (butter, lard, bacon, cream, etc.), preferring vegetable oils of olive and peanut. In the case of foods of animal origin, prefer those with low fat content such as skimmed milk, cuts of lean meat, etc. You can learn more about the nutritional properties of the main protein foods in this article.
- Moderate the use of salt on the table, limit the consumption of canned foods, sausages, ready meals, smoked or pickled products.
- Vary the foods as much as possible.
- Moderate the consumption of alcoholic beverages during and outside main meals (maximum 1 glass per meal).
- Drink plenty of mineral water up to 1.5-2 liters per day.
- Prefer fresh or frozen products to preserved ones.
- Divide the diet into at least 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and 2 snacks.
Remember that nutrition is an important and fundamental aspect for our health but it must be accompanied by attention to motor activity that keeps both the muscles and the whole body functioning and healthy.
To learn more about the meaning of proteins for our body, you can read our dedicated article.